So...I definitely wouldn't call myself the most consistent blogger in the world. I always seem to find myself wrapped up in other things--work, family etc.--and using the excuse 'I can write something interesting tomorrow.' But honestly, I don't find posts from other game designers describing the new content they added, or the new system they put together, or a programming snafu they spent hours fixing terribly exciting. Hell, I enjoy writing my games, but I often find myself bored out of my skull even thinking about writing a post that only serves to let people know I've done a little bit more work since the last blog post. For those of you who revel in such minutiae, more power to you; it just ain't me.
Now for the important bit, and why most of you are here.
My new (mini) game is being beta-tested as we speak. It was intended for two purposes: 1) To experiment with my programming capabilities in ADRIFT and try new things and 2) Give the background story to my next full-length game, Hail to the King. Much of the programming items are not readily visible in the main game--nor should it be if done reasonably well--and if nothing else, I discovered new ideas I really enjoyed exploring (branching pathways/events), some that I absolutely hated and never see myself using again (conversation trees), and some I am indifferent to (character movements). As for the success of the second goal, I'll leave the final decision up to you, the players.
I still have a bonus section that I'm finishing up while the main part is being tested, so I'm going to give a very tentative release of...before the last of the snow melts for the winter. Which, considering the kind of weather we've had recently, does not set a very specific goal, I know but c'est la vie.
Yours,
Minterlint
Congrats on your 3rd place Erin ranking. Two out of the top three games involved having sex with your sister(s), so it's obvious where true AIF success comes from.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I was pleasantly surprised by this endorsement from the AIF community, especially since 2014 was an extremely busy year, especially for new authors. I also noticed the same thing that you did, as far as the topics each game dealt with. Honestly, the closest I came to writing a new blog was to delve a bit into why that particular topic seems to be making a surge recently, not only in AIF but in 'legit' porn as well.
DeleteUnfortunately, you will not be able to have sex with any siblings in this game (at least for this prologue), but there are certain scenes that you can find that might interest you....
Minterlint, only you can know what style of creating is better for you, someone loves to share each details others no, someone wants a betatester from the beginning others only when the game is complete and tested by him, the good thing is that you likes creating game and sharing those with us.
DeleteThemes more or less "taboo" (like incest, feeling for teacher or married people, relationship between noble and commoner or people belonging to rival families) I think that gives many possibilities if done well.
For example you and Palmer is not that you have simply put incest in your games, you have used it, the games would have been very different otherwise. In this case some possible relationship didn't need excessive explanations, (sister and brother near when younger, a dad that has not an incredible respect for the son...).
I don't know if incest theme helped your game (even if it's sure that this community isn't against that) but your game was in any case good, so your third place is well deserved (and in a year full of good new authors).
How you teached everyone has his kink, someone could be happy to see own, but for the majority the most important thing is a game done well and with passion.
For sport I can add a thing, if I remember well in a poll for what was the best game made by Goblinboy Meteor won.
Was truly the best or the relationship between the protagonist and Jenny helped ?
Will hail to the king (and the prequel) have a fantasy setting ?
ReplyDeleteI'm waiting your game in any case, but I admit that I like the idea of a fantasy aif game.
Sorry for the late response (been knocked out by the flu for the past week or so) but yes, it will be a fantasy setting. The full game (not the prologue) will have elves, witches, demons/angels, magic, daring-do, and a smattering of other fantasy-related tropes. I've got much of the story/setting worked out but I'm planning a very ambitious (for me) programming increase to add more complexity/ game playability, so that will be the main part of my work for the foreseeable future.
ReplyDeleteHey mate, I know this is a looong time since your post, but I couldn't find an email or anything to contact you (at least the one I did find I wasn't sure if it is you), but is this game still going to be a thing? I discovered your work fairly recently, but I'll be damned if it isn't some of the best AIF work I've ever read. Master of the House was great, and the prologue of Hail To the King left me wanting for more - I'd be pretty gutted to find out that it'd been abandoned. You have some great writing talent; rarely have I played AIF games in all their entirety, trying to find every secret, but your games were an exception.
ReplyDelete